Monday, September 14, 2009

Qs in Britain

Quote
“Those who do not have the power over the story that dominates their lives, the power to retell it, rethink it, deconstruct it, joke about it, and change it as times change, truly are powerless because they cannot think new thoughts”
Salman Rushdie

Questions
What I like about the English language is the bonding effect created by the questions. Last week, from my chair, hearing my colleagues as they were speaking I have noticed the unusual pattern of asking for feedback at the end of every few sentences. I am thinking about introducing in my conversations “isnt’t it?” or “have you?” or “don’t I” or “shoudn’t we?”

Queues
One swiss chocolate left on the table, in the middle of English people…would stay there and never be touched.
Same swiss chocolate left on a table, in the middle of Romanian people…would disappear instantly.
Cultural differences, isn’t it? :)
Or…

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Regarding the swiss chocolate in England and in Romania.... I have an unclear issue.... do you think it makes a difference that the chocolate is Swiss or? :)

Irina Miu said...

Well...did not think of that...might be :)

Who am I...

My photo
Timisoara, Romania
I am Miu and I believe happiness is a choice